“I don’t get the ‘Christianity’ thing, and I’m too embarrassed to ask anyone, because I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t know this stuff…”
If this is how you feel, you’re not alone. I hope to answer some basic questions about Christianity, things I always wondered about before I began growing closer to God. If I forgot something you still wonder about, and I’m sure I probably did, please leave a comment below and I’ll try to answer your question!
By the way, if you think I got anything wrong, feel free to correct me. I tried to be accurate in my answers and true to Christian teachings, but that doesn’t mean I was successful!
Click the question to go to that post:
- “What makes Christianity different from ALL the other religions out there?”
- “What is the ‘old testament’ and ‘new testament’, and how do we know any of the bible is even TRUE?”
- “Sometimes I hear Christians refer to God as “Father”, other times they talk about God as Jesus, and then who or what is the Holy Spirit? And which one do you pray TO?”
- “What does it mean that ‘Jesus died for my sins’, and how do we know He really came back to life?”
- “But I never said I wanted to live forever…”
- “I’m not such a bad person, especially compared to most, only the really rotten people have to worry about where they’re going when they die, right?”
- “What if I want to believe, but I just don’t think I do?”
- “I was raised in a Christian church and have always tried to live right, I go to church on Sundays, I’ve even tried to pick up my Bible before, but just don’t get it. I see other Christians who seem so “on fire” for their faith, and for me “it” is just not there, why don’t I feel anything?”
- “Is there really a heaven?”
- “How do we know what you’re saying is the REAL Truth?”
- “But this is just YOUR truth, MY God wouldn’t …(fill in the blank)”
- “God loves me just the way I am.”
- “I’ve tried the whole “church” thing before, it just doesn’t work for me.”
- “But look at (fill in the blank), HE is supposed to be a Christian, and he goes to that (fill in the blank) church, there’s no way I want to be like HIM, what a hypocrite!”
- “If God is so good, why would He let such rotten things happen in the world?”
Look around this site for more reading to help you grow in your faith. Here are other suggestions for ways to help you grow (in no particular order):
- Find Christian podcasts to listen to while you exercise. (My two current favorites: this one and this one.) Or find more of my favorite books, movies, etc., to help you grow in your faith: See these favorites.
- Go mill around a Christian or Catholic Christian bookstore and see what books grab you. Find a devotional type book that can help you read through and understand the bible on a daily basis (little bits to read each day).
- Find a church where you feel comfortable, then reach out to help others there and meet people who can grow in faith along with you.
- Listen to the Christian radio station — this is one of my favorite ways to feel God close to me. He speaks to me through music all of the time. A few of my favorites: Matt Maher, Toby Mac, Mandisa. There are TONS out there and in all different genres — some I think sounds like boring old-fashioned “churchy” music, but other songs are fun, and then there are the beautiful reflective worship type of songs that move me and help me think differently about Jesus and how He moves in my life.
Have you always wondered these things but were afraid to ask whoever that Christian person is in your life that you know would know?
I’ll bet I know why you don’t bring it up with them:
- Is it because you’re afraid they’d get “pushy” about you going to church or about whatever it is you’re unsure of?
- Or were you afraid they’d judge you for not already knowing all the ‘answers’, or for past things you’ve done in your life?
- Or do you not want to “get them going”, afraid you won’t be able to shut them up?
I’m sure those are some of the reasons certain family members or friends of mine don’t bring it up, even though they must wonder about certain things.
Well, here’s what I wish they knew…and what I’ll bet that Christian friend of yours wants you to know:
- I will NOT judge you – you have no idea what I have struggled with in my life or how I have sinned – you think you know me, but you just might not. And if I haven’t messed up in just the same ways you might have, I can guarantee you can’t shock me – I know a lot of people, and a LOT of them talk to me about things. I have very close friends who have had abortions, who struggle with sexual sins, who have committed adultery. I know people so close to the Lord, and some very far away. I love them all, and I know God loves them even so much more! I “get it” that we just never know in life where circumstances and temptation will take us, we are weak and life is sometimes very difficult. God wants to forgive us no matter what, we only have to ask with an open heart, and I would love to be the person to point you back to God or to help you find Him for the first time. I promise I’ll be open and ready to listen and try to help you get over whatever obstacles are between you and Him. I remember what it’s like for all of this to seem very foreign!
- This goes without saying, but of course I promise not to share with others anything personal you have shared with me.
- I will try VERY hard to stop when I see your walls come up, when you’re ready to be done talking about it. I know that sometimes we need to chew on little bits of new information at a time before we are ready to hear more.
- I will not push you to go to church, when you are ready, you will know.
- The reason I will promise to do the above is because I just want you to feel comfortable coming to me and asking me anything! I know THAT is where the growing starts. If you want to ask me one question, then drop it for 6 months or even years, that’s up to you. I only want you to eventually love Jesus too and realize that He is the best friend who will NEVER leave you, no matter what.
Don’t miss this…
Maybe you’re not sure about all of this. But what IF? What if it’s all true? What have you got to lose by delving in a little deeper? And what if by staying on the sidelines or only jumping in a tiny bit, you’re actually missing out on something amazing? What if that something is someONE who only wants to be your friend and help you at each step? What if you find out after you die about ALL that you missed through the years, and all that you could’ve had if you’d only been willing to put your toe in and see how much beauty there is in knowing Jesus better? Life is truly better with Him, He makes the happy days happier — and more profound in a way that’s not easy to explain; and He makes the sad days bearable. I just don’t want you to miss out.
NICE Blog 🙂
Kelly the Kitchen Kop says
Thanks! You are my first commenter on this blog!
Every one of us Christians needs to read your post and refresh..become real. The Kingdom will be won in no time! God bless you,
Kelly the Kitchen Kop says
Thanks for commenting. Pray that many will be open to what they read here. 🙂
Is there a way to subscribe to this blog the same way (e-mail alerts) as Kellythekitchenkop? I would love to keep up with this but I know I won’t remember to get on the website to keep checking for new posts.
Kelly the Kitchen Kop says
I’ll see if I can remember how to add that. Just a warning though, I update this blog very sporadically!
Sporadic is fine – I’m just glad you share! I don’t want to miss it though when you post :).
Faith Lange says
Yes…He will never leave you, nor forsake you!!!!
Thanks for sharing!!
God has already forgiven all sins for all time, at the cross.
"Their sins and their lawless acts I will remember no more"
He was satisfied once and for all because Jesus took the punishment for sin, once and for all time. Their is no one on this earth that does not stand forgiven by God! That is part of the Good News of the Gospel! We can come to God unashamed and unafraid, bodly to the throne of grace because Jesus dealt with what kept us from God! So now we just need to believe this truth and run with our arms open to the One who loves us freely, unconditionally and accepts us so fully once we are in Christ having believed in Jesus victory over sin on our behalf. No conditons to being a christian, just believe the truth of what the cross accomplished and forgiveness is just the beginning!!!!
Grace and peace to you!!!!
Dr. Michael Haley says
Amanda and I advertise our businesses on your other site. But when I saw the “see my other blog”, I couldn’t resist! All the good organic nutrient dense foods on the planet are meaningless if you don’t have forgiveness. I like this blog better 🙂
I just found this in my pending box for some reason, thank you for your sweet comment!
“All the good organic nutrient dense foods on the planet are meaningless if you don’t have forgiveness.” I couldn’t agree more!
And if you ever want to advertise here, too, let me know. 🙂
Kelly p.s. I think I met Amanda at the conference in November!